The heat can cause your refrigerator to run harder than normal to stay cool - affecting your utility bill and your wallet.
So what can you do?
Take these steps to help your refrigerator stay cool.
- Keep your refrigerator in a cool spot in your home (not the garage) and make sure there is some space around it for heat to go and air to circulate.
- Clean your coils regularly. Consult your owners manual for more information. Keep the front grill dust free as well.
- When you leave the house, set the thermostat at a reasonable temperature so the home doesn't get too hot and then have to cool off fast when you return.
- Uncovered food can release moisture back into the refrigerator. Keep food covered at all times.
- Don't overload the refrigerator. Only store what needs to be kept cool.
- Your most perishable items should be stored in the refrigerator itself, not the door. The temperature of the door will fluctuate the most.