Did you know? Heating and air conditioning make up 43% of your average monthly utility costs.
Here are some ways to cool down - without cranking the A/C.
- Circulate air with fans - ceiling fans or box fans will work - nothing too fancy needed
- Use screens on your windows to help block some of the sun's heat - inside make use of blinds and curtains
- Make use of your exhaust fans after cooking and a hot shower
- If your home has a programmable thermostat - set the temperature a little higher for those times when you won't be home
- Change air filters regularly to keep your A/C unit running efficiently
- Keep the area around your condenser clean - tall grass or bushes can clog the unit and cause it to run less efficiently
- Make small changes like using CFL light bulbs instead of the typical incandescents - they emit less heat.
What do you do to keep cool and keep your costs low in the summer heat?