While we may feel helpless in the face of nature's power, there are things that you can do to make sure your home and family are prepared to the best of your ability.
- Keep trees and bushes trimmed - this will help prevent branches from breaking off during high winds
- Check gutters and keep them clean. Make sure they are pointed away from the house.
- If a bad storm is approaching, move patio furniture in or secure in place.
- Avoid using the telephone or taking a shower during thunderstorms as lightning can be of concern.
- Have a battery operated weather radio on hand for frequent updates.
- Know how to turn off your home's water, gas and electricity in case of emergency.
- Have a first aid kit, flashlight and list of emergency numbers available.
- Make a plan with your family to all go to the safest place in your
home during severe weather - preferably an interior room away from
windows, skylights and doors.